Monday, March 29, 2010

Christina's SNAP Challenge Reflections

I am fortunate enough to have never had to live with hunger. I've always been in a position where having enough to eat has never been something I've had to worry about. Okay, there have been a few times where my finances have fun low and I've resorted to eating more pasta than a girl probably should. However, I've never been in any serious need. Unfortunately, I realize there are many people in this world who aren't as lucky. When I heard about the SNAP program, it sounded like the perfect opportunity to put myself in someone else's shoes and experience what living with that need might be like. I realize this program is only ten days and for many people the struggle to afford food is life-long. However, my experience so far has definitely given me new insight I didn't have before.

My first shopping experience put things in perspective. I went with my two roommates, who are also participating in the SNAP challenge. We avoided the fresh produce section, seeing as how that was more expensive. We were careful to grab the store brand instead of the name brand. Inexpensive frozen vegetables and $0.87 bags of pasta were thrown in the cart. Our first trip to the grocery store gave us enough food for a few good meals (as well as some so-so ones). However, as a college student who usually shops on a budget, I didn't feel too limited by the amount of money I had to spend.

My biggest struggle has been when I don't have time to prepare a meal at home. As a college student with a full course load, an internship as well as a job it's sometimes hard for me to find time to eat at home. Usually, I'll try to grab something to eat in between classes on campus. However, there is no room in my limited budget for any extra spending on pre-made food. Also, inexplicable cravings for McDonalds french fries of Wendy's cheeseburgers that I don't normally experience keep creeping up on me. I think the fact I knew I couldn't have it made me want it more. There's still a few days left in the SNAP challenge, and I'm happy to report I have yet to give into these temptations. In all sincerity, this challenge has given me insight into what its like to struggle affording food (yes, more than I've gained from being an average college student!) It's been an eye-opening experience and I feel grateful for the opportunity to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment