Wednesday, March 31, 2010

First Thing I Will Eat!

After living on food stamps for roughly ten days, there have been a lot of foods I've had to forgo. I missed my daily bagel with cream cheese. I couldn't grab a quick lunch during the short break in my three hour senior seminar. The worst part was not being able to grab a coffee on those days I had to get up earlier than what I think of as a reasonable hour. Tomorrow, my SNAP challenge ends. I'm so excited to return to my regular eating schedule. Although this time around, I'll have a new appreciation for the luxury of being able to grab a quick bite when I'm hungry. I know have a better understanding of what its like for the many Americans struggling with food security. This program has given me insight into this problem in a way only first-hand experience could.

I haven't quite decided what food I'm going to indulge on tomorrow. A baconator cheeseburger from Wendy's? Pepperoni pizza from Classics? I've debated driving through McDonald's for breakfast to grab a sausage egg and biscuit sandwich before class. I can tell you for sure that whatever I choose to eat, I will be especially thankful for the gift it is to be able to afford food.

No comments:

Post a Comment